The goal for Mackie's flagship Onyx series of small-format mixers was to bring premium analog sound, expanded features, and streaming FireWire connectivity to both recording and live sound environments.
FIREWIRE I/O OPTION CARD
In the category of "Why didn't someone think of this sooner?", we gave the Onyx 1640 an optional FireWire I/O card, which bridges the analog-to-digital gap by providing up to 18 independent channels of high-quality 24-bit/96kHz audio that you can plug right into your FireWire-equipped Mac or PC. And bring a stereo mix back from your computer for monitoring purposes.
When it was time for the Onyx EQ section, we turned to veteran audio engineer Cal Perkins to develop our new Perkins EQ circuitrya "neo classic" 3- and 4-band design based on classic "British EQ" circuitry from mixing desks of the '60s and '70s. Cal devised a way to give Perkins EQ that sweet "British console" sound, but with greater filter control and minimum phase shift.
MIC PRE AMPS
Because a great mixer starts with great mic preamps, we invested significant R&D efforts into developing our new flagship Onyx mic preamps. These preamps build upon our already-impressive XDR design to meet or surpass expensive esoteric standalone mic pres in terms of fidelity, headroom and transparencyas well as improved radio frequency (RFI) rejection and wider dynamic range.
* Premium 16-channel/4-bus small-format analog mixer
* 16 new ONYX mic preamps comparable to boutique preamps
* New 4-band Perkins EQ with dual sweepable midrange controls provides warm, musical sound
* 96kHz FireWire option for streaming 18 independent channels of audio to computer with near-zero latency
* 2 channels of monitoring from computer via FireWire option card
* 6 Aux sends w/ Pre/Post & Solo switches
* 4 stereo line-level inputs
* 4-bus architecture for flexible sub-grouping of channels
* Built-in Talkback section for use w/ internal or external mic
* True hardware EQ Bypass
* "Planet-Earth" switching power supply for worldwide use
* Linear taper 60mm faders with ultra-smooth response on all channels
* Balanced direct outs for every channel via DB-25 connections
* Selectable Instrument inputs on first two channelsno DI box needed
Rotating I/O pod for desktop or rackmount operation
|SKU||ONYX-1640 MIXER W/FW|
|Product Condition||New - On Clearance|
Mackie ONYX1640i Premium 16-Channel 4-Bus Analog Mixer, Mixer W/Fw Reviews