The Model SM89 is a highly directional condenser shotgun microphone with distant pickup characteristics suitable for on-location film and television production.
The SM89 can also be used for theater sound reinforcement, spot news coverage, or wildlife recording. The SM89 discriminates at a distance in favor of desired dialogue or effects and against ambient noise -- even in noisy surroundings.
The on-axis frequency response of the SM89 is very smooth and extended. For clarity and speech intelligibility, a slight presence rise optimizes the high-frequency response to compensate for high-frequency losses. A low-frequency roll-off minimizes pickup of wind, mechanical vibration, ambient noise, and rumble without affecting voice frequencies.
The off-axis response of the SM89 is virtually free of comb-filter effects. This is important when it is not possible to aim the microphone precisely or when it is desirable to pick up dialogue or sound from moving sources.
* Designed especially for location film and TV production, theater sound reinforcement, and spot news coverage.
* Highly directional polar pattern optimized for distant pickup.
* Smooth, wide on-axis response.
* Greatly suppressed side pickup with minimum comb-filter effects.
* Two low-cut frequencies, switch selectable.
* Low impedance, high sensitivity.
* Extremely low hum, noise, and RF pickup.
* Uses readily available 11 to 52 Vdc phantom supply.
* Rugged and reliable, operates over wide range of temperature and humidity.
* Extremely lightweight, can be suspended on fishpole for long periods of time without operator fatigue.
* Aircraft-grade materials used throughout.
* Supplied with foam windscreen and strong luggage-grade carrying case.
Shure SM89 Shotgun Condenser Reviews